With the evolvement of technology becoming an ever-present part of our daily life, it was perhaps predictable that more and more people are finding a short term or lifetime partner using their mobile devices or computer, in the same way they do when they shop online for the items they like. However, there are risks included in the process especially when you are about to meet that special someone.
- Personal safety
- Harassment (Sexual, physical)
- People hidden in the identity of others
- Potential theft of your money
Here are some crucial tips on how to stay safe:
- Keep the confidentiality.
- Choose a username that no one will ever recognize it’s you. Wrong choice of username might attract wrong users and wrong attention.
- For the best of your safety, keep your contact details private. Do not put your personal information such as your email address, home address or phone numbers on your profile so no one could reach you directly. Keep them until the time you meet in-person and until the time you are comfortable enough on sharing it. They must gain your trust first.
- If it happens that someone is pressuring you to give your contact or financial details, stop communicating and report them to the service providers not only for your safety but for the safety of others as well.
- Secure your password or login details.
- Be careful in attempting to open your profile at public places or shared computers because there is a probability that they might access your account and password.
- Keep your emotion in check.
- Sometimes, the excitement we feel by meeting someone online might overpower our emotion. Don’t get too attached to someone you had just met online. Not until you meet them and get to know them well in-person.
- Act like a detective but don’t be too obvious.
- Ask them a question and ask it again in a different way and see if the answers are matched. Besides, Google will always be there to help you out in investigating.
- Beware of the cheaters.
- Internet is vulnerable, it doesn’t know whether someone is married or not. So if you don’t want to take part in cheating, make sure that the one you are chatting with is single and available.
- When meeting someone in person, always remember these DO’s and DON’Ts;
- Do tell your family or friends you’re meeting someone.
- Do meet in public place where there are lots of people around.
- Do use your own mode of transportation.
- Do bring your mobile phone with you.
- Do keep your purse, wallet and other personal items with utmost care.
- Do leave when you feel uncomfortable.
- Do watch your alcohol intake.
- Do contact a friend when the date is over.
If you pursue on finding a true relationship and you fail, don’t be afraid to try it again. It’s true that finding a perfect match is never easy. When risks take over, there are helpful and effective ways to manage it. Nevertheless, the number one rule is to stay safe.